Widow Yvonne Wilding warns of dangers of asbestos contact after husband Roger's death

January 03, 2014 at 12:47 PM

It follows her heartbreak at losing her husband Roger to an asbestos-related cancer.

The 72-year-old died in May from mesothelioma, an aggressive cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.

He may have been exposed to asbestos while working as a civil engineer for Severn Trent Water Authority at Southwick Park, on the edge of Tewkesbury, in the mid 1970s. Renovations to the building were carried out during his time there.

Mrs Wilding is keen to warn people who might also have been exposed to the material there then of the danger they may be in.

She said: “My main concern is that there may be other people affected because it can lie dormant for so many years.

“Roger fought bravely against his cancer for over a year, but as yet there is no cure for mesothelioma.

“I know he would want to warn others of the dangers of having worked with asbestos. I would urge anyone who worked at Southwick Park and thinks they may have come in to contact with asbestos to see their doctor.”

Mrs Wilding lives in Ripple, near Tewkesbury and was married to her husband for 47 years. He was a respected parish councillor in the village for 15 years.

She added: “To watch Roger die from this horrendous disease was heart-breaking for me, our two sons and all our family and friends.

“We were looking forward to many more years together doing the things we had always planned to.

“Now those plans have been dashed and all because of this terrible disease that could and should have been prevented if he had been provided with the proper protection from deadly asbestos dust.”

The widow has enlisted the support of law firm Pannone and industrial disease case specialist, Madelene Holdsworth, to discover exactly when and where Mr Wilding was exposed to asbestos.

Madelene said: “It would be most useful to hear from anyone who worked at Southwick Park.”

She can be contacted on 0161 909 1485 or by email at madelene.holdsworth@pannone.co.uk.

Severn Trent Water Limited said, in a statement: “This is a very unfortunate situation and our thoughts are with the family at this time. We can confirm that the local water authority owned the Southwick Park site in the 1970s but it was sold in the early 1990s. We are not aware of any issues with asbestos at the site.”

By Robin Jenkins
Gloucestershire Echo

Tags: